As I was looking forward (think: ahead, think: pleasurably anticipate) to my pilgrimage-in-place time, I made a list of the inward spiritual practices I’ve done.
- Ignatian exercises, in the 5-day format, up at Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House
- walking labyrinth meditations
- crafting a 3-day local retreat for myself and two other parent-artists, when all our progeny were young
- Centering Prayer
- a few days in silence, either on my own or at Lebh Shomea
- lectio divina
- what we then called Cursillo ™
Stop, Take a breath mindfully; Observe body sensations, thoughts of all sorts, emotions; Proceed
…though I learned this practice as part of my Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
No wonder my people were unsurprised to spend a day with me, silent.